Thursday, March 1, 2012

museum improvisation

The Angel Appearing to the Centurion Cornelius- Jacob Backer


Should I not cover
my eyes, two wings
left for flight? Paint
cracks, uneven strokes
create disbalance, inner
ear swimming. The salt
in the light breathes
prayers to the Apostle.
My sides are gilded,
dusty over bent knee.
Baptized into an elegy,
the fountain flows
from a face I cannot see,
lowered eyes meet only
less worthy things.
Our wings were never white,
forgive us, Father. We
walk to Emmaus, chrysalis
opening, thread of life
and so weep and still
lament, blood tears hit dirt,
wash our cheeks. Rose wire
for the King. I drink
sorrow and repeat,
holiest of holies,
lips kiss Your Name,
reverence clean but
insufficient. Should I
not cover my eyes?
The salt is there to prevent decay.




(Note: W303 first draft improvisation. Edited version will be posted upon completion)

No comments:

Post a Comment