Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Goldfish Theory

Last Sunday I met a Marine,
a sailor lost at sea. “This ocean,
he said, “blue on  blue on blue,
murky white froth, swallows the
world like a hungry goldfish,
gives birth to dying sea-salted
fishermen. It means nothing.”

The gulls squalled overhead,
dividing the horizon. I squinted at
the glowing tangerine between us,
deceptive in its size. I reached a
hand to cradle it in my palms, but
it dripped through, juice bathing
my fingers in golden rivulets.

Leaning forward, bamboo raft
tilting, I broke the surface tension
with my sticky hands, the seawater
cupped as if it knew my name.
It almost seemed I heard the waves
whimper, “Lizzie, Lizzie,” although
I never liked that nickname.

“My grandmother gave it to me,”
I told the Marine, fingering the Black
Hills ring at home on my smallest digit.
He enveloped my soft hand in his,
lifted it to his lips. A stream of warm
breath broke over my skin. “That’s not
to say it means something,” he said.

A storm blazed in his iron-clad eyes,
the temperature sank. The wind,
harsh salt and pepper, whipped
our cheeks to leave a carmine stain.
We wandered betwixt the swells
and the storms, rain rocking our
tiny raft as if to prove a point.

Our bamboo sprang a leak, and we
capsized into the blue-grey veil. Ever
a weak swimmer, I went underneath.
My Marine held me, kicking, until my
nail scraped an etching into glass.
I grasped the rim of a Mason jar and
heaved myself onto Black Hills sand.

Turning to offer him a hand, my eyes
met empty space. I pressed my face,
tear-bathed, into the mirror, but there
met me only blue on blue on blue,
swallowing itself like a hungry goldfish.
My lids shuttered, shattered. Once, I knew
a Marine. This is not to say it means nothing.



(Heavily revised version of a poem previously posted. Subject to further revision and reposting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment