Tuesday, July 5, 2011

memento mori


Once upon a time,
I had a crystal ball, a beacon in the mist-
small, a prime example
of a campfire spreading.
It inspired, I let my friends
twist it in their palms,
watch it refract light.
It always returned intact-
sometimes smudged or dull,
in want of polish yet free of crime,
or so I judged.
I suppose I knew it might
come back in need of slight repair,
some glue, a thing or two:
certainly no more than light sanding
(somehow that never stopped me
from handing crystal over)
My mistake, to lend it worry-free;
careless to believe it wouldn’t break.
Naïve, I extended my treasure
to a pair of azure eyes and let rise
an immeasurable rapture
of which I became captive.
Too weak to bridge the gap between
freedom and capture,
I found not all treat delicacy
the same as me. When at last
delivered, my glass lay unrecognized
as its past glory.
I weighed my choices, and I chose
(crassly, perhaps) to mend:
to spend endless hours
buffing rough edges
and gluing fragments
until it looked anew.
I set it on a shelf, but glass is not meant
to be let to dust. Breathing a prayer
and against my better sense,
I dared entrust it once more.
I must have forgotten my chore of the past,
how vast broken glass appears upon the floor.
This time, although it seared,
I blinked back tears and left
the pieces where they had fallen.

Once upon a time,
I had a crystal ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment